He scribbled down the benefits of remaining single, which included, among other things:
• “Not forced to visit relatives, & to bend in every trifle.”
• “Conversation of clever men at clubs”
• “Choice of Society & little of it”
• “Freedom to go where one liked”
• [The avoidance of] “the expense & anxiety of children”
On that same piece of paper, he wrote of the rewards of marriage:
• “Constant companion, (& friend in old age) who will feel interested in one”
• “Object to be beloved & played with”
• “Better than a dog anyhow”
• “Home, & someone to take care of house”
• “Charms of music & female chit-chat”
By the way, Charles Darwin had an exceedingly happy marriage, by all accounts, and had ten children.
I Miss You by Incubus
and a present from the band -songs recorded live on their current tour.